How to tell if a rock is a meteorite: a hobbyist’s guide
When it comes to rocks, there are many different types and classification can be confusing for hobbyists. In this guide, we will focus on how to tell if a rock is a meteorite. Meteorites are rocks that have fallen from space, and they can be both valuable and interesting. Here are five tips on how to tell if a rock is a meteorite:
1. Meteorites are usually darker in color than other rocks.
2. Meteorites often have a fusion crust, which is a thin, dark coating on the surface of the rock.
3. Meteorites often have a pitted or grooved surface.
4. Meteorites are often heavier than other rocks of the same size.
5. Meteorites often have a magnetic property.
If you think you have found a meteorite, it is best to consult with a professional. Meteorites can be valuable, and it is important to make sure that you have correctly identified the rock before selling it or donating it to a museum.